This position is based at IYF’s headquarters in Baltimore, MD, USA. However, IYF will consider remote candidates for this position.
The Accounting Manager is a member of the Accounting unit in IYF’s Finance, Accounting and IT (FAIT) department. FAIT is a service-first department, providing high quality and responsive service for the internal and external needs of IYF as a global not-for-profit organization. The Accounting Manager provides accounting support with a specific focus on ensuring that all financial transactions are recorded accurately, monthly and annual financial closing is completed timely, and other day-to-day accounting needs are managed effectively including, but not limited to, accounts payable and accounts receivable. This position requires an individual with a service-first approach, positive team spirit, enthusiasm to integrate into a growing and highly dynamic team, and commitment to a collaborative approach in working as part of a global team. The accounting function is critical to supporting program delivery and IYF’s mission.
This position reports directly to the Controller and collaborates to ensure accounting functions are performed up to the highest standards and structure needed to ensure successful program delivery.
This position communicates with a diverse staff in multiple locations using email, video and audio conference technology. This position must be able to communicate and collaborate effectively globally.
We have seen firsthand the benefits of a diverse team, and the strength that comes with diversity in experience, background, and perspective. We strongly encourage applications from candidates that would bring a unique or underrepresented perspective to our finance department. Candidates are encouraged to identify their unique talents, strengths and experiences in this area.
- Responsible for all aspects of global accounting systems and accounting processes, including month-end close, ensuring compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and internal controls and integrity, suitability, accuracy, and timeliness of internal information systems.
- Uphold a service-first approach to ensure quality customer service to internal and external stakeholders. As a global not-for-profit organization, this includes availability and responsiveness during IYF’s HQ core business hours and ability to accommodate global service needs across multiple time zones. Expectations of our service-first approach include availability and responsiveness for collaboration, meetings, trainings, solution finding, and ad-hoc requests.
- Remain up to date on ASUs, nonprofit accounting, financial and audit best practices in the US and abroad in countries with operations; keep up with automation and technology advances in finance.
- Manage accounts payable cycle, process and staff. Ensure all transactions are recorded accurately.
- Manage accounts receivable, cash receipts and revenue. Prepare billing invoices and collections.
- Assist in all month-end, quarter-end, and year-end closing activities including journal entry review/posting, balance sheet reconciliations and expense allocation, etc.
- Assist with annual external audits and with annual tax return (Form 990) preparation.
- Manage monthly internal desk audits for country offices, as directed.
- Responsible for management and maintenance of all accounting (SunSystems and QuickBooks) and time tracking (XM Time) information systems.
- Maintain accounting systems and other records, such as monthly backups of country office accounting data, updates to payroll ledgers, employee receivables, prepaid expenses, inventory of property and equipment, and reporting schedules.
- Assist with the accounting administration of country offices to ensure that IYF country office bank account updates and annual filings are completed timely and accurately.
- In collaboration with colleagues, routinely assess and update finance policies and procedures, internal controls, and standard operating procedures.
- Responsible for Project Start Up process from signing of donor agreement or contract through successful set up of codes, program folders and participation in project start up meeting.
- Lead awareness initiatives, including reporting systems and training programs for global staff and implementing partners. Develop training materials and training programs.
- Work with HR Manager in setting up employee salaries, payroll deductions and employee benefits. Review and approve the payroll before final transmittal.
- Maintain complete files for all financial transactions, in compliance with retention policy.
- Fill in as back-up for Accounts Payable Associate, as needed.
- Perform and complete special projects and other duties as assigned by Controller and/or CFO.
This position has growth opportunity to build out overall experience by broadening the leadership skill base to include managing additional accounting functions within the organization, including intentional succession planning with Controller, after successfully performing all responsibilities listed above.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- High energy and commitment to working in a diverse and multi-cultural team environment.
- Demonstrated support for IYF’s values, DEI initiatives, social justice and racial equity.
- Exceptional emotional intelligence and collaboration skills to work with global teams.
- Demonstrated supervisory, relationship building, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience supervising and developing diverse staff both in office and remotely.
- Service-first approach; availability and responsiveness during IYF’s HQ core business hours and ability to accommodate global service needs across multiple time zones.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field required. CPA or CPA candidate would be an added advantage. Continuing education certifications from accredited institutions to advance skills preferred.
- Minimum 4 years of professional experience in accounting for non-profit organizations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of GAAP accounting rules, nonprofit accounting, and financial reporting.
- Experience using accounting and financial software applications, databases, and expertise in Excel.
- Proficient in MS O365 applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, SharePoint, Teams, PowerPoint).
- Tech savvy experience in the design and maintenance of financial management systems.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to establish and update policies, procedures and workflow processes.
- Proactive, creative, flexible, responsive, hands-on critical thinker with vigilant attention to detail and a passion for accuracy.
- Ability to learn, work and perform independently as well as in a collegial manner, as a team player, in a remote working environment. Ability to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines and competing priorities. Requires effective time management, prioritization and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills with a resolute ability to frame and focus on solutions.
- Oral and written English fluency is required. Proficiency in French and/or Spanish is a plus.
- Effective communication, listening, presentation and training skills.
- Growth mindset to drive innovative solutions from learnings, with high capacity to execute.
- Flexibility to respond to periods of high pressure is required. Travel up to 5% time required.
- Time Commitment: Full Time Schedule
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities for the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. All positions are required to perform any additional tasks assigned by supervisors.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email.
IYF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues, and we welcome applications from people of all cultures, experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives.