Consultant, USAID PROPEL Youth & Gender
1. Assignment Overview
Organization: International Youth Foundation
Assignment: Gender Analysis and Strategy Development Consultant
Project Name: USAID PROPEL Youth & Gender
Assignment Timeline: January 8, 2023 – March 22, 2024
Deadline to Apply: December 25, 2023
2. Organizational Background
For more than 30 years and in over 100 countries, the International Youth Foundation (IYF) has focused exclusively on helping young people succeed. A global nonprofit organization, IYF believes that there are three keys to achieving this success: learning skills that will endure, earning a livelihood, and growing as an engaged citizen. Together with partners around the world, we’ve invested in ensuring that youth develop leadership, technical, and life skills. Whether it’s landing a first job, growing a business, or driving social change, every young person deserves the opportunity to realize his or her full potential. Rooted in the belief of youth as problem-solvers, change-makers, and leaders, our initiatives are catalysts for change. We forge partnerships to deepen investment and impact in youth employment and engagement, working with businesses, governments, and civil-society organizations. For more information, please consult www.iyfglobal.org.
3. Project Background
The USAID PROPEL Youth and Gender (PROPEL Y&G) Project aims to strengthen the enabling environment for a more equitable and sustainable health system to increase access to health services, supplies, and information, including voluntary FP/RH and FP/RH integration with HIV/AIDS and MCH, with a focus on meeting the needs of youth and adolescents as well as advance gender equality and equity for all. The project works to advance and inform Policy, Advocacy, Financing, and Governance (PAFG) efforts and facilitate the uptake of state-of-the-art technical approaches within country programs.
4. Scope of Work
IYF seeks a consultant to support the development of a project-level Gender Analysis and Strategy. The analysis will include a literature review and key informant interviews. The consultant will work closely with IYF and the PROPEL Y&G team to provide technical guidance and support to deliverables that inform the development of the gender strategy, including the implementation of a gender analysis. This position and its work will be fully remote. The consultant will perform the responsibilities listed below with oversight and direction from IYF. The consultant will have frequent communication with the IYF team on deliverables and progress.
5. Components and Activities
The consultant will:
- Review PROPEL Y&G project documents;
- Review USAID guidance on development of gender analyses and provide feedback to strengthen and finalize the gender analysis design (gender analysis and strategy development plan), including key informant interview tool adaptation;
- Review the PROPEL Y&G Year 1 Workplan and provide input to reinforce gender-transformative approaches;
- Develop a study design including research objectives and questions, list of key informants and approach to a literature review; Develop any necessary data collection tools (I.e., KII guides)
- Conduct primary and secondary data collection;
- Analyze data (KII notes and literature review) and write a final gender analysis report
- Contribute to the development of the draft and final gender strategy;
- Facilitate a gender strategy action planning workshop for PROPEL consortium;
- Develop a gender strategy based on the gender analysis and inputs from the PROPEL team
- Participate in relevant meetings and check-ins to discuss progress, expectations, and challenges.
- Provide 2-3 days LOE to provide technical input and review of the PROPEL Youth and Gender Year 1 workplan to ensure integration of gender transformative approaches.
- Provide input and feedback on all deliverables;
- Coordinate communications, and/or feedback from PROPEL Y&G team members and USAID;
- Provide support and coordination for primary data collection, literature review, data collection, and data analysis; and participate in relevant meetings to discuss progress, expectations, and challenges and facilitate meetings with other PROPEL Y&G team members.
There are five (5) key deliverables under this consultancy:
- Gender analysis study design
- Gender analysis draft 1: Including gender analysis literature review and gender analysis key informant interview notes and analysis
- Gender analysis final: Including gender analysis literature review and key informant interview notes and analysis
- Gender strategy action planning workshop
- Gender strategy
No travel expenses, nor transportation costs, will be covered by this assignment. This consultancy covers a budget of 30-40 days.
The consultant or consultant(s) should possess the following competencies:
- Master’s degree or higher in one of the following or related fields: gender, international development, public health, or social sciences.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of progressive experience in gender and social inclusion, preferably with USAID projects.
- Extensive experience in leading the development and implementation of gender analyses and project-level gender strategies.
- Excellent English language written and verbal communication skills (final deliverables will be in English).
- Strong technical and analytical capabilities and demonstrated ability to analyze and interpret quantitative and qualitative data.
- Experience supporting global programming, preferably in Sub-Sahara Africa.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and sensitivity to cross-cultural collaboration.
- Highly self-motivated and able to work independently as well as in team settings.
- Detail-oriented and deadline-driven with strong organizational skills.
- Excellent computer skills, using MS Office products including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
9. Application Instructions
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit a proposal with the subject line “Gender Analysis Consultancy” to Chonghee Hwang and Elizabeth Salazar at: [email protected] and [email protected].
The application should include the following:
- Cover letter outlining relevant experience, daily rate, and estimated number of days to complete deliverables in collaboration with IYF;
- A CV or resume; and
- A list of up to three references.
Applications are expected no later than Monday, December 25, 2023 at 5:00 PM EST and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those shortlisted for interviews will be contacted.
IYF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues, and we welcome applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences.