This position is based at IYF’s headquarters in Baltimore, MD, USA. However, this position is fully remote and IYF will consider remote candidates based anywhere in the East Coast of the USA for this position.
Chief Financial Officer & Executive Vice President Finance
The Controller is a member of IYF’s iFAAM (information technology, Finance, Accounting and Award Management) department. The Controller leads the Accounting unit and is responsible for planning, directing, and coordinating all accounting and audit functions for the global organization. The position oversees the team in designing and implementing timely accounting and financial reporting essential in the support of business and investment decisions.
Functionally, the Controller is responsible for ensuring that the global accounting, treasury, and statutory and management reporting systems and policies provide high quality, timely data and analysis for decision support. The Controller works closely with the CFO and senior leadership of iFAAM on strategic matters, including the setting of departmental priorities, as well as representing the department in cross-organizational working groups.
The Controller provides innovative solutions for emerging financial management needs and serves with the CFO as key staff for the Investment & Audit Committee of the Board.
This position communicates with a diverse staff in multiple locations using email, video and audio conference technology. This position must be able to communicate and collaborate effectively and diplomatically globally.
We have seen firsthand the benefits of a diverse team, and the strength that comes with diversity in experience, background, and perspective. We strongly encourage applications from candidates that would bring a unique or underrepresented perspective to our finance department. Candidates are encouraged to identify their unique talents, strengths and experiences in this area.
Strategic Leadership & Governance Support
- Represent Accounting in various cross-organization working groups and special initiatives (e.g. strategy, expat compliance, accounting updates, etc.), strategic working groups, and other cross-departmental committees.
- Responsible for preparation of required financial statements and schedules for Board and Committees.
Compliance & Risk Management
- Develop internal controls to safeguard the assets of the organization.
- Ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), internal controls, established policies and procedures, and ensure integrity, suitability, accuracy and timeliness of internal information.
- Develop finance-related policies that uphold best practice standards for internal controls and duties.
- Oversee compliance with payroll-related regulations for US paid employees, including expatriates.
- Direct the organization's accounting unit and functions, including establishment and maintenance of the organization's accounting principles, practices, procedures, and initiatives.
- Plan and manage month end closing processes, financial statements preparation, external audit(s), annual tax filings and other statutory reporting requirements.
- Coordinate work of Accounting with Global Finance & Administration and Award Management units.
- Identify opportunities for process improvements to ensure continued high functioning of accounting functions.
- Develop and maintain a staffing structure and high functioning team to effectively meet the accounting needs.
Cash, Treasury, Reporting
- Responsible for organization’s cash management. Perform cash flow monitoring, forecasting, and planning.
- Monitor investment portfolio performance and recommend changes as needed.
- Ensure timely, accurate, and relevant reporting.
- Manage Accounting unit and other cost center budgets as assigned in close coordination with the CFO, support annual budget development and forecasting.
Policies & Systems
- Lead accounting systems software administration, ensuring configurations, integrations, reference materials and trainings are provided to enable users to effectively utilize the software to make timely and informed decisions.
- Ensure that accounting internal controls are in place and functioning as designed.
- Regularly review and update financial policies (including travel policies) to verify that they remain relevant.
- Develop and maintain finance and accounting systems and processes that meet the needs of the organization.
- Represent the organization to external stakeholders including auditors, vendors, funders, partners, public officials, and network organizations. Communicate and collaborate effectively with senior leadership of iFAAM department.
- Responsible for Project Start Up process from signing of donor agreement or contract through successful set up of codes, program folders and participation in project start up meeting.
- Provide regular and special information to the CFO related to financial, cash flows, investments.
- Lead, supervise, train and develop Accounting unit.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the CFO.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- High energy and commitment to working in a diverse and multi-cultural team environment.
- Demonstrated support for IYF’s values, DEI initiatives, social justice and racial equity.
- Exceptional emotional intelligence and collaboration skills to work with cross-institutional teams.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, team management, relationship building, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience supervising, coaching and developing diverse staff across global locations.
- Requires CPA, BA in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration (with an emphasis in accounting or finance).
- Minimum 8 years of years of senior level accounting management experience with global non-profit organizations ($15M+), experience working in global organizations, multiple programs, with diverse funding streams.
- Advanced knowledge of GAAP accounting rules, nonprofit accounting, including fund and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting. Government grant and contract management a plus.
- Proficient in the design and maintenance of accounting and financial management systems, internal controls, finance policies and procedures development, and business planning and analysis.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365, general ledger, budgeting and financial reporting packages. Infor Cloud SunSystems accounting, Infor Q&A and QuickBooks multi-currency accounting and reporting package experience.
- Experience using accounting and financial software applications, databases, and expertise in Excel with analytical skills utilizing advanced Excel techniques.
- Tech savvy experience in the design and maintenance of accounting and financial reporting systems. Experience upgrading to cloud systems in the past 7 years a plus.
- Proactive, creative, flexible, responsive, hands-on strategic thinker with vigilant attention to detail.
- Ability to learn and to work independently as well as in a collegial manner, as a team player, is essential. Requires exceptional time management and good organizational skills. Accuracy with numbers is necessary.
- Exceptional analytical, critical thinking and innovative problem-solving skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines and competing priorities.
- Oral and written English fluency is required. Proficiency in another language is a competitive advantage.
- Outstanding communication with demonstrated highly effective presentation and training skills.
- Flexibility to respond to periods of high pressure is required.
- Growth mindset to drive innovative solutions from learnings, with high capacity to execute.
$110,000 - $125,000
Please send your letter of interest and resume to [email protected] with the subject heading "Controller."
IYF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates are critical to our success as a global organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.