Country Director, Mexico
Regional Director, Latin America and the Caribbean
ABOUT INTERNATIONAL YOUTH FOUNDATION (IYF)
For 30 years, our sole focus has been to help young people succeed. Together with partners around the world, we’ve invested in ensuring that youth develop the leadership, technical, and life skills to earn a livelihood. Whether it’s landing a first job, growing a business, or driving social change, every young person deserves the opportunity to realize his or her full potential. Rooted in the belief of youth as problem-solvers, change-makers, and leaders, our initiatives are catalysts for change. For more information please consult www.iyfnet.org.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The primary responsibility of this position will be to ensure the successful implementation of IYF’s programs in Mexico. This position will serve as IYF’s legal representative in-country, provide strategic leadership to ensure successful delivery of IYF Mexico programs, and spearhead program portfolio growth, while infusing a strong culture of planning, coordination and learning. Duties include overseeing program and office operations; leading development of a country strategy; providing input into the design and delivery of the program activities; and supporting staff to effectively execute programs.
The Country Director will be based in Mexico. The ideal candidate will be a leader who is committed to international development and driven by results; passionate about promoting a values-driven work environment dedicated to youth economic opportunity; and has demonstrated experience successfully leading youth development programs and teams in Mexico and/or internationally.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Country Office Leadership: Provide daily oversight and management of the IYF Mexico office, be the primary contact person in Mexico, and represent IYF for overall program interests at local, national and regional meetings, workshops and conferences. Ensure IYF complies with local labor, tax, mercantile and all relevant regulations.
- Program Management: Ensure optimally coordinated project and financial management in the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the IYF Mexico portfolio to achieve program outputs and outcomes in accordance with donor expectations, grant agreements, and work plans.
- Staff Supervision: Exercise strong leadership and supervision of staff; adopting, upholding and building team buy-in to important organizational values and working norms, and leading new recruitment efforts.
- Fiduciary Oversight: Ensure sound treasury and cash management of office and program funds through responsibly executing fiduciary responsibilities. Oversee day-to-day fiscal matters associated with country operations, program budgets, and reporting. Ensure compliance to program requirements and IYF policies.
- Partnership Management: Support donor relations and contribute to other donor discussions and relationship development efforts as needed. Manage and cultivate collaborative key program partner and stakeholder relationships through regular interaction and communication, and position new business opportunities for increased resources and program expansion.
- Strategic Planning: Oversee the development and implementation of country strategy in close communication with IYF USA, ensuring alignment with IYF’s global strategy.
- Reporting and Planning: Oversee the preparation of periodic reports per donor requirements and develop annual project work plans and budgets as needed.
- Technical Leadership: Work with the program team to provide capacity strengthening support to local staff and partners as needed.
- Business Development: Work closely with IYF Department leads, Regional Director and program partners to expand IYF footprint and lead thematic expansion in the country.
- Bachelors’ degree and at least ten years of experience in program management and/or international development. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience successfully leading development programs in Mexico.
- Established professional in Mexico, with demonstrated ability to engage, maintain and build upon partnerships with donors, government and private sector stakeholders and community-based organizations. Strong networks within the public sector’s education and/or technical and vocational training systems preferred.
- Demonstrated ability and experience driving purposeful innovation in program design approaches.
- Experience in supervision of staff and managing teams, including assigning and directing work, conducting performance appraisals, training staff, promoting development, and creating a culture of engagement, collaboration and teamwork.
- Proven strategic planning, project, and financial management experience.
- Experience in, and demonstrated understanding of, accountability, policy and compliance requirements.
- English fluency, both verbal and written.
- National and international travel as required.
To be eligible for this position, applicants must have the legal authority to work and reside in Mexico; this position is a local hire position in Mexico.
Please submit a cover letter and resume in English via email to [email protected] with the subject line Country Director. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply before September 1, 2022.
The International Youth Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.