Deputy Chief of Party
Deputy Chief of Party
Chief of Party
ABOUT INTERNATIONAL YOUTH FOUNDATION (IYF)
For thirty years, our sole focus has been to help young people succeed. Together with partners around the world, we’ve invested in ensuring that youth develop the leadership, technical, and life skills to earn a livelihood. Whether it’s landing a first job, growing a business, or driving social change, every young person deserves the opportunity to realize his or her full potential. Rooted in the belief of youth as problem-solvers, change-makers, and leaders, our initiatives are catalysts for change. For more information, please consult www.iyfglobal.org.
IYF seeks a Deputy Chief of Party who will provide technical leadership and guidance for an anticipated five-year project in Jamaica funded by USAID, aimed at increasing youth’s civic engagement and building work readiness skills to bolster employment opportunities for them. This position requires strong project management and coordination skills, technical knowledge, and extensive experience cultivating and establishing partnerships with key stakeholders, including implementing partners the private sector, the Government of Jamaica, and funders. Jamaican nationals are strongly encouraged to apply. Hiring for this position will be contingent upon funding from USAID.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contribute to the project’s overarching vision in collaboration with the Chief of Party, other senior project staff, and project partners, to ensure achievement of project results.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance ensuring that interventions are high quality and evidence-based, with a long-term “systems” view and approach to development.
- Design and implement evidence-based interventions to strengthen the technical and life skills of young people and link them to resources and economic opportunities through internships, apprenticeships, entrepreneurship support, access to finance, and mentorships. Interventions should be gender sensitive/transformative, align with positive youth development, and emphasize participatory and youth-led approaches.
- Strengthen the technical capacity of young people, youth networks, youth-serving organizations, and government. Develop and implement capacity-strengthening plans. Develop tools and guides to facilitate knowledge transfer. Provide technical training and support.
- Support the identification and establishment of public-private partnerships that create new pathways for youth economic opportunity.
- In collaboration with project leadership, contribute to the development of project work-plans and annual implementation plans that are consistent with project goals and objectives.
- Contribute to the development and timely submission of written reports, including funder reports and oral presentations on the project. Prepare periodic update reports on project successes, challenges facing the project, and progress toward meeting deliverables.
- Establish, cultivate, and maintain relationships with the ecosystem of project actors, including the public sector, private sector, civil society, community-based organizations, and local governments.
- Represent the project at local, national, and regional meetings, workshops, and conferences and promote the project at the national level.
- Work with project leadership to support continuous project learning and ensure integration of measurement, evaluation, and research into management decision-making.
- Directly supervise project staff as assigned, and provide ongoing support through coaching, performance evaluations, and feedback for achievement of annual project objectives and goals.
- Willingness to travel within Jamaica up to 25%.
- Perform other duties as requested.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required; a graduate degree in a relevant field such as education, international development, or non-profit management highly preferred.
- Eight years of relevant experience leading projects focused on youth services, economic empowerment, and/or private sector development.
- Experience leading and implementing youth-led and youth-engaged Political Economy Assessment (PEA) in Jamaica or similar countries.
- Strong understanding of the economic, educational, and youth contexts in Jamaica with a deep national network of relevant contacts across government, industry, and civil society.
- Technical leadership experience on youth development projects funded by USAID and/or other institutional funders.
- Strong understanding of best practices in youth programming, including Positive Youth Development, and familiarity with USAID’s Youth in Development Policy.
- Experience cultivating relationships and collaborating with a variety of stakeholders including youth, government ministries and officials, NGOs, donors, the private sector, and community-based institutions, preferably in Jamaica.
- Experience developing and implementing effective capacity strengthening models and approaches for youth-serving organizations and individuals.
- Strong presentation, reporting, and communication skills.
- Spoken and written fluency in English required. Fluency in Jamaican Patois is a plus.
- Excellent computer skills using MS Office 365 Suite of products including Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, and PowerPoint.
Please submit your CV in English via email to [email protected] with “Jamaica – Deputy Chief of Party" in the subject line. To be eligible for this position, applicants must have the legal authority to work and reside in Jamaica; this position is a local hire position in Jamaica. Applications will be reviewed as received.
The International Youth Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.