Deputy Project Director, Family Planning and Reproductive Health
Deputy Project Director, Family Planning and Reproductive Health
Washington, DC preferred; however, IYF will also consider candidates who live in the following states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Maine, New York, Washington, Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and Washington. Candidates in other states will not be considered.
ABOUT INTERNATIONAL YOUTH FOUNDATION (IYF)
For over thirty years, our sole focus has been to help young people succeed. Together with local community-based organizations and a network of corporate, foundation, multilateral, and youth partners, we connect young people with opportunities to transform their lives. We believe that educated, employed, engaged young people possess the power to solve the world’s toughest problems, and we focus our youth development efforts on three linked objectives: unlocking agency, driving economic opportunity, and making systems more inclusive. Our vision is to see young people inspired and equipped to realize the future they want. The International Youth Foundation: Transforming Lives, Together. For more information please consult https://iyfglobal.org/
IYF seeks a Deputy Project Director (DPD), Family Planning and Reproductive Health (FP/RH) who will provide strategic guidance, leadership, and oversight for an anticipated five-year, multi-country project funded by USAID. The project aims to strengthen the enabling environment for a more equitable and sustainable health system to increase access to health services, supplies, and information, including voluntary FP/RH and FP/RH integration with HIV/AIDS and MCH, with a focus on meeting the needs of youth and adolescents as well as advance gender equality and equity for all. This position will be responsible for providing overall strategic direction and technical leadership in FP/RH, working collaboratively with USAID technical teams and relevant global, regional, and country actors to advance and inform policy dialogue and facilitate the uptake of state-of-the-art technical approaches within country programs.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategic: Contribute to the project’s overarching vision in collaboration with the Project Director and project partners, to ensure achievement of project results.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance ensuring that FP/RH interventions are high quality and evidence-based, with a long-term “systems” view and approach to development.
- Design, implement, and support evidence-based FP/RH interventions to strengthen the enabling environment for more equitable and sustainable health systems. Interventions should be gender transformative, align with positive youth development, and emphasize participatory and youth-led approaches.
- Promote integration of voluntary FP/RH services with MCH and HIV/AIDS, as well as cross-sectoral approaches.
- Strengthen the technical capacity of national and sub-national health system actors, including government entities, private institutions, youth-led and youth-serving organizations, women-led and gender equality organizations. Develop and implement capacity strengthening plans. Develop tools and guides to facilitate knowledge transfer. Provide technical training and support.
- Support private sector engagement and establishment of public-private partnerships.
Functional: Contribute to the development of project work-plans and annual implementation plans that are consistent with project goals and objectives.
Reporting: Contribute to the development and timely submission of written reports, including funder reports and oral presentations on the project. Prepare periodic update reports on project successes, challenges facing the project, and progress toward meeting deliverables.
Learning: Work with project leadership to ensure continuous program learning and ensure integration of monitoring and evaluation data into decision-making. This will include synthesizing and disseminating program results and information to local, regional, and global partners and overseeing the development of thought leadership publications.
- Establish, cultivate, and maintain relationships with the ecosystem actor, including national and local government entities, private sector, civil society, youth-led and youth-serving organizations, women led-organizations, and gender equality organizations.
- Represent IYF and overall project interests at national and regional meetings, workshops, and conferences, and promote the program at the global level.
Supervisory: Supervise staff across multiple countries as assigned, which will include providing regular professional support and coaching to direct reports.
- Perform other duties as requested.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Relevant graduate degree with at least ten (10) years’ experience working internationally in FP/RH and technical knowledge of policy, advocacy, financing, and governance approaches, and demonstrated work experience related to youth, gender equity and equality, and the intersection of youth and gender equity.
- Experience developing and delivering effective institutional capacity strengthening services, with youth-led, youth-serving, women-led, and/or gender equality organizations strongly preferred.
- Experience cultivating relationships and collaborating with a variety of stakeholders, including young people, government entities, and donors, on a local, regional, and global level.
- Knowledge and proven experience in technical leadership, strategy development, and staff oversight and supervision.
- Strong leadership, mentorship and coaching skills, including demonstrated ability to manage and motivate teams in a global setting and adaptive management experience with the ability to find viable solutions to complicated problems in a flexible, time-sensitive, and creative manner.
- Spoken and written fluency in English required. Professional proficiency or higher in French preferred; other languages are a plus.
- Excellent computer skills using MS Office products including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Ability to travel up to 40% of the time.
$115,000 - $135,000
Please submit your CV in English via email to [email protected] with "PROPEL Youth – DPD FP/RH" in the subject line.
***Please note that hiring for this position will be contingent upon funding from USAID.
IYF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates are critical to our success as a global organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.