Director, Global Finance and Administration Management
Director, Global Finance and Administration Management
This position is based at IYF’s headquarters in Baltimore, MD, USA. However, IYF will consider remote candidates based anywhere in the USA for this position.
Chief Financial Officer (CFO) & Executive Vice President Finance
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Director, Global Finance and Administration Management is a senior leader in the finance department and will lead the Global Finance and Administration Management (GFAM) unit. This position is responsible for full-cycle financial reporting, financial management, the development of financial metrics and the ongoing monitoring of control systems designed to preserve IYF’s assets and report accurate financial results. Responsibilities include financial analysis and forecasting, budget development, cost allocation, and the development and oversight of compliance and financial management systems, procedures, and internal controls required for global operations. This position also provides a risk management voice to leadership regarding policies and operational decisions. The position also ensures compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, regulatory requirements, and internal controls.
This position reports directly to the CFO and collaborates to ensure financial management functions are performed up to the highest standards. This position provides innovative solutions for emerging financial management needs and serves with the CFO as key staff for the Investment & Audit Committee of the Board.
This position communicates with a diverse staff in multiple locations using email, video and audio conference technology. This position must be able to communicate and collaborate effectively globally.
We have seen firsthand the benefits of a diverse team, and the strength that comes with diversity in experience, background, and perspective. We strongly encourage applications from candidates that would bring a unique or underrepresented perspective to our finance department. Candidates are encouraged to identify their unique talents, strengths and experiences in this area.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategic Leadership & Governance Support
- Represent Finance and diverse perspective in various cross-organization working groups and special initiatives (e.g. cost recovery, innovative funding, allocation methodologies, etc.), strategic working groups, and other cross-departmental planning committees.
- Responsible for preparation of the financial packet for Board and Committees.
- Provide key staff support to Investment & Audit Committee (coordination, agenda development, etc.); and serve on 401K Management Committee.
Compliance & Risk Management
- Work in coordination with CFO to identify, manage and monitor financial risks and develop appropriate mitigation strategies.
- Develop and ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures that effectively address risks.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions and record keeping.
- Ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), internal controls, established policies and procedures, and ensure integrity, suitability, accuracy and timeliness of internal information.
- Plan and manage country office audits and proper filing of tax returns, and coordinate closely with Controller for US audit, filings and tax returns.
Global Financial Management & Analysis
- Direct, coordinate, consolidate and provide institutional financial management reporting. Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models, trend and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans. Monitor investments /reserves, expense and revenue projections, and cash flows to ensure a solid fiscal position.
- Lead and coordinate the annual budgeting process in collaboration with CFO and management.
- Lead work of Global Finance & Administration Management (GFAM) team. In partnership with Controller, ensure GFAM and Accounting units have smooth functioning and efficient workflow.
- Set and oversee GFAM work plans and regularly assess team performance against objectives. Promote a culture of high performance, continuous improvement, and exceptional support that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Lead the GFAM team in producing timely and accurate financial reporting. Oversee the preparation and communication of monthly, quarterly and annual financial updates. Create tools or reports that support timely organizational decision making, including deployment of personnel linked to various cost centers.
- Lead quarterly reviews, providing institutional financial updates. Lead the GFAM team in managing portfolio quarterly and monthly reviews, issuing budget variance analyses.
- Ensure responsiveness and quality customer service that effectively responds to ad-hoc financial reporting, trend and analysis requests to facilitate informed decision-making by management.
- Manage GFAM and other cost center budgets as assigned in close coordination with the CFO.
Financial Oversight & Operations
- In collaboration with the CFO, communicate the organization’s financial performance, projections and risks in presentations to global staff as part of IYF’s open book approach to ensure financial transparency and develop financial literacy across the organization.
- Lead awareness initiatives, including reporting systems and training programs for global staff and implementing partners. Develop training materials and training programs.
- In partnership with the Controller, ensure that global financial management systems, activities and audits are aligned with Accounting Team policies, processes and timelines.
- Lead the GFAM team in providing support to the Business Development unit and Project Management Unit as new business development opportunities are sought from funders. Oversee cost and pricing staff and consultants. Conduct proposal reviews to ensure capacity to meet administrative and fiscal compliance requirements. Establish and maintain current labor rates for use in proposals and develop other fee schedules for use in small consulting, training and technical assistance opportunities; assist staff to effectively utilize innovative strategies for pricing business opportunities with the goal of full cost recovery.
- Lead the financial and operational administration of IYF country offices, working closely with the CFO, Global HR Director and Award Management Unit team to ensure that IYF country offices are structured and aligned to support IYF strategy and objectives.
- Along with the CFO and Controller, serve as a point of contact with internal and external stakeholders for company financial, reporting and compliance questions and concerns.
- Remain up to date on nonprofit accounting, financial and audit best practices in the US and abroad in countries with operations; keep up with automation and technology advances in finance.
Policies & Systems
- Lead Adaptive Insights Cloud budget software administration, ensuring configurations, integrations, reference materials and trainings are provided to enable users to effectively utilize the software to make timely and informed decisions.
- Responsible for Blackbaud GIFTS subaward cloud software administration, ensuring configurations, integrations, templates and trainings are provided to manage the organization’s subawards and track important metrics including diversity procurement.
- Ensure that proper internal controls are in place and functioning as designed.
- Regularly review and update financial policies to verify that they remain relevant and appropriate to ensure compliance and best practices while supporting efficient global operations.
- Responsible for full cycle processing of subawards: develop policy and procedures, as well as award templates. Manage/oversee award processing, approvals and training new staff.
- Review agreements with donors and clients to ensure satisfactory terms for IYF, noting legal, compliance, reporting, and other requirements.
- Provide regular and ad hoc information to the CFO related to finances.
- Lead, supervise, train, coach and develop GFAM unit (includes Finance and Cost & Pricing staff based globally).
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the CFO.
- In addition, this position has an opportunity to build out overall experience by broadening the leadership skill base to include managing additional operations functions within the organization, including intentional succession planning with CFO, after assuming all responsibilities listed above.
- High energy and commitment to working in a diverse and multi-cultural team environment.
- Demonstrated support for IYF’s values, DEI initiatives, social justice and racial equity.
- Exceptional emotional intelligence and collaboration skills to work with cross-institutional teams.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, team management, relationship building, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience supervising, coaching and developing diverse staff across global locations.
- Requires bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration (with an emphasis in accounting or finance). CPA preferred.
- Minimum 8 years of senior level accounting/financial experience with global non-profit organizations ($15M+), experience working in global organizations, multiple programs, with diverse funding streams.
- Advanced knowledge of GAAP accounting rules, nonprofit accounting, including fund and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting. Government grant and contract management.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365, general ledger, budgeting and financial reporting packages. Infor Cloud SunSystems accounting, Infor Q&A and QuickBooks multi-currency accounting and reporting package experience.
- Experience using accounting and financial software applications, databases, and expertise in Excel.
- Tech savvy experience in the design and maintenance of financial management systems.
- Proactive, creative, flexible, responsive, hands-on strategic thinker with vigilant attention to detail.
- Ability to learn and to work independently as well as in a collegial manner, as a team player, is essential. Requires exceptional time management and good organizational skills. Accuracy with numbers is necessary.
- Exceptional analytical, critical thinking and innovative problem-solving skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines and competing priorities.
- Strong financial modeling, budgeting, and analytical skills utilizing advanced Excel techniques.
- Oral and written English fluency is required. Proficiency in Spanish or other language is a plus.
- Outstanding communication with demonstrated highly effective presentation and training skills.
- Flexibility to respond to periods of high pressure is required.
- Growth mindset to drive innovative solutions from learnings, with high capacity to execute.
Please submit your cover letter and resume via email.
IYF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues, and we welcome applications from people of all cultures, experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives.