Programme Assistant, South Africa
Gauteng, South Africa
ABOUT INTERNATIONAL YOUTH FOUNDATION (IYF®)
For 30 years, our sole focus has been to help young people succeed. Together with partners around the world, we’ve invested in ensuring that youth develop the leadership, technical, and life skills to earn a livelihood. Whether it’s landing a first job, growing a business, or driving social change, every young person deserves the opportunity to realize his or her full potential. Rooted in the belief of youth as problem-solvers, change-makers, and leaders, our initiatives are catalysts for change. For more information please consult www.iyfglobal.org.
In South Africa, IYF partners to strengthen education and training systems including public TVET colleges and employer-led learnerships for unemployed youth so that they better equip young people to access and expand economic opportunity. We work with national government and TVET leaders to align courses with industry needs; we equip employers to deliver more impactful life skills training within their learnerships; and we create mutually beneficial partnerships between industry and education systems that improve young people’s lives while also delivering business benefits.
In South Africa, IYF’s mission is to: Support the strengthening of publicly-funded training systems, so that these systems better empower youth to access and expand economic opportunity in the country. Through this mission, we partner with government and businesses to improve learning and workforce outcomes for youth enrolled in the TVET college system, and for unemployed youth participating in learnerships.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
To provide effective programme, monitoring, operational and administrative support to assigned youth skills development project(s) in South Africa, particularly those projects operated in close partnership with government and industry.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide logistical and administrative support, as required to assigned projects.
- Assist in identification, selection and management of technical consultants and other project-related procurement.
- Monitor partners and consultants in their compliance with the terms and conditions of their agreements.
- Assist project teams, including with arrangement of courses, workshops, flights, lodging, meetings and events (including agendas/materials) and other relevant activities and various reports.
- Support meeting and workshop/event planning and related logistics.
- Document, catalogue and maintain project records.
- Draft project-specific reports.
- Submit routine invoices to IYF accounting for timely disbursement and payments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Support delivery of project outcomes and deliverables, in accordance with approved work plans, grant agreements, and donor rules/regulations.
- Maintain project calendar and ensure that deadlines are met according to work plans.
- Manage administrative processes related to delivery of staff training at IYF’s partner TVET colleges.
- Provide feedback to the Programme Manager on project strategies and activities.
- Develop strategies for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of projects by identifying barriers in completing project activities and developing solutions to minimize or eliminate such barriers.
- Follow an agile approach to managing projects and demonstrate the ability to derive creative solutions and rapidly pivot implementation plans based on prevailing circumstances.
Project Monitoring and Reporting
- Support the implementation of performance measurement plan, and continuously strengthen project monitoring procedures.
- Ensure that all collected data are entered into IYF’s online project monitoring system (either directly, or through assigned consultants). This includes following required processes to access data from IYF project partners, including public education providers.
- Synthesize project monitoring data in order to prepare performance reports and updates, including the programmatic sections for donor reports.
- Participate in and actively contribute toward annual project reviews and planning workshops and assist the Programme Manager in preparing relevant reports and work plans.
- Bachelor’s Degree or commensurate experience in a field relevant to IYF’s mission and programs; plus 1-3 years of work experience preferred.
- Learning and Development Content/Curriculum Development experience would be advantageous.
- At least 5 years working experience with at least 3 years combined experience working in Learning and Development Facilitation as well as Administration with a practical understanding of the learning cycle and student-centered learning pedagogy is essential.
- Strong, project management skills with a demonstratable understanding of leading project management principles and methodologies. Experience managing deliverables with various vendors and/or contracts preferred.
- Ability to identify and establish priorities, work independently, and exercise sound judgment related to providing support and assistance.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and demonstrates strong report writing skills.
- Ability to identify problems in a timely manner, make recommendations toward solving problems, and work well in group problem solving situations.
- Ability to work in a dynamic team, as well as an ability to carry out tasks independently. Ability to establish effective working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Detail-oriented and adaptable, with excellent time management and administrative/organizational skills. Thorough knowledge and experience in building office systems, filing systems, and general office procedures preferred.
- Ability to work in fast-paced, high-pressure environments.
- Possess outstanding interpersonal communication skills which must be effective and courteous, requiring high integrity when dealing with a broad array of cultures and languages.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills a must, including a working knowledge of Microsoft OneNote, Teams and SharePoint. Experience with online management information and enterprise resource planning systems would be an advantage. Experience working with online survey programmes would be a bonus.
- Knowledge of, or experience with, programs that support youth employment, education/training, and/or social services preferred.
- Experience working with international donor-funded programs preferred.
- Ability to travel nationally, and potentially regionally/internationally.
- Demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility, with demonstrated self-management and self- motivation.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Sensitivity to and responsiveness to all project partners, donors, and colleagues.
- Driver’s license and personal vehicle.
- Candidate must be able to converse in at least two of the official languages in South Africa.
- South African permanent resident.
- Commitment to IYF’s overall mission
Please submit the following documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Programme Assistant- South Africa" in the subject line:
- Completed IYF Field Office Application for Employment
- Cover letter
The International Youth Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Only applicants without work restrictions in South Africa should apply.