Regional Director, Africa and Middle East
Preferred: Johannesburg, South Africa; Nairobi, Kenya; Accra, Ghana; Dakar, Senegal; Amman, Jordan. Other countries in Africa or the Middle East may be considered. Citizens and permanent residents of these countries are encouraged to apply; work authorization is the responsibility of the candidate.
Executive Vice President, Programs & Business Development
ABOUT INTERNATIONAL YOUTH FOUNDATION (IYF®)
For 30 years, our sole focus has been to help young people succeed. Together with partners around the world, we’ve invested in ensuring that youth develop the leadership, technical, and life skills to earn a livelihood. Whether it’s landing a first job, growing a business, or driving social change, every young person deserves the opportunity to realize his or her full potential. Rooted in the belief of youth as problem-solvers, change-makers, and leaders, our initiatives are catalysts for change. For more information please consult www.iyfglobal.org.
ABOUT THE ROLE
This position is responsible for the strategic direction and leadership of IYF initiatives in Africa and the Middle East (AME). This includes developing country leadership talent and skill, exploring and pursuing strategic opportunities for program growth, building institutional relationships, mitigating operational and programmatic risks, and advancing IYF’s reputation for excellence. In addition, the RD provides direct leadership and oversight to projects where IYF does not have a country office in the region.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Organizational Strategy: Lead IYF to develop, promote and deliver innovative, multi-sectoral programs in the AME region through a holistic youth development framework consistent with IYF’s strategic plan.
- Business Development: Identify and pursue funding opportunities in partnership with country staff, global technical advisors, business development and other functional teams. Cultivate and deepen relationships with private and public institutional funders supporting programs in the region. Support program design and co-creation, and expand partnerships and IYF’s geographic presence for greater impact. Serve as proposal director or other proposal team role on priority opportunities.
- Program Quality and Operational Excellence: Ensure country offices in the region have rigorous technical, operational, and managerial capacities and systems to ensure strong program delivery, as a support to Country Directors and in partnership with IYF’s functionally specialized teams. Mentor Country Directors and program leads to successfully deliver quality programs on time, within scope and on budget, and in accordance with donor expectations. Support the generation and dissemination of organizational learning, to contribute thought leadership in the sector and build visibility of IYF programs.
- Representation: Represent IYF to external audiences through conference/panel presentations, working groups, blog postings and other thought leadership opportunities.
- Supervision: Supervise Country Directors and team leads in non-presence countries. Mentor staff to ensure clear understanding of job requirements and obligations that include delegations of authority, local accountability and ownership of high-quality program delivery and operations, and ongoing performance management. Ensure good collaboration and information flow across the region and with other IYF departments/units.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Exceptional leadership, management, supervisory, analytic and representational skills; the ability to identify and establish priorities and attend to all details in a professional manner.
- A collegial management style that emphasizes both achieving results and working with a highly skilled, multi-cultural team of professional colleagues.
- Deep personal commitment to social and economic development that recognizes youth as critical actors and beneficiaries.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills in English (both oral and written) are required.
- Professional proficiency in French is highly desirable. Arabic, Portuguese or other languages in the region are a plus.
- Strong coaching, mentoring, and capacity strengthening skills.
- Proven interpersonal skills and presentation skills.
- Excellent computer and O365 skills including Word, Excel, Outlook, Sharepoint and PowerPoint.
- Ability to travel up to 30%, primarily within the AME region and to IYF’s US office in Baltimore, MD.
- Minimum 10 years of progressively responsible experience in the design and management of international development programming, with significant work experience in the AME region.
- Significant experience developing new business from major institutional funders, including bilateral, multi-lateral, corporate and private foundation agencies, and working in cross-sector partnerships to deliver programs. Experience pursuing and managing program funds from USAID highly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in international development, social sciences, or other relevant field.
This position is being sourced for IYF by Devex. Interested applicants may apply here: https://www.devex.com/jobs/regional-director-africa-and-middle-east-896922
Should you wish to explore this position confidentially before deciding to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest and we will reply to you as soon as feasible upon reviewing your application and if it is found to be aligned by International Youth Foundation (IYF) requirements.
IYF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues, and we welcome applications