Roving Regional Officer (2 vacancies)
Roving Regional Officer, Skills for Prosperity Programme Mexico
Pillar 2: Quality Lead
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (IF APPLICABLE)
S/he will supervise program staff assigned to projects under his/her management.
ABOUT INTERNATIONAL YOUTH FOUNDATION (IYF)
For 30 years, our sole focus has been to help young people succeed. Together with partners around the world, we’ve invested in ensuring that youth develop the leadership, technical, and life skills to earn a livelihood. Whether it’s landing a first job, growing a business, or driving social change, every young person deserves the opportunity to realize his or her full potential. Rooted in the belief of youth as problem-solvers, change-makers, and leaders, our initiatives are catalysts for change. For more information, please consult www.iyfglobal.org.
IYF is part of the "Skills for Prosperity Mexico" (SFPMx) consortium, which aims to increase Mexico’s capacity to build an inclusive education-to-employment ecosystem that generates more productive and equitable skills sectors improving employability, employment opportunities and earning potential of youth beneficiaries including the most marginalized populations. Achieving inclusive economic growth and poverty reduction will require changing the way government, private sector, and education and training providers work together to make skills investments up and down the talent pipeline, enabling all young Mexicans to benefit from shared prosperity.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Roving Regional Officer will be responsible for supporting the implementation the SFPMx's program in Chihuahua. The ideal candidate will be an experienced program officer, a self-starter with excellent relationship and negotiations management skills, and a commitment to youth development. This full-time position will be located in either Oaxaca, Chihuahua, or Jalisco, Mexico. In addition, the Roving Regional Officer will provide technical and managerial support for project development, implementation; relationship cultivation and management; activity design and implementation; and, contracts and logistics management. The Roving Regional Officer will coordinate with SFPMx’s Mexico City-based IYF staff to ensure the successful delivery of the program.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Working closely with IYF supervisor, provide overall program management, ensuring all aspects of the program in Jalisco are well-coordinated, executed on time and maximize the resources and talents, and that the outcomes and impacts are achieved.
- Develop work scopes for consultancies and process coordination related to scoring proposals and preparation for candidate selection. Support and supervise expert consultants involved in the design, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation of this program.
- Produce effective written reports and oral presentations on the program, including preparing periodic reports, updating on developmental challenges facing the program, and articulating the program’s success in meeting deliverables.
- Identify and establish strategic partnerships with HE and TVET institutions in Jalisco. Foster and maintain excellent and effective relationships with key stakeholders, including donors and government officials. Act as the primary liaison to government partners as related to assigned programs. Organize, plan and participate in meetings and events with key stakeholders to ensure buy-in and effective coordination.
- Develop and utilize tools to synthesize data related to program implementation, including the detection and resolution of any obstacles to reaching project targets so that goals are met.
- Coordinate planning and delivery with local partners and consultants of all capacity-building activities including workshops. Ensure sustainability of education workforce ecosystem by ensuring that the roles, routines, rules, and curricula needed to maintain the workforce ecosystem are institutionalized by partner HE and TVET institutions. Accompany curricular approvals process. Capability gap analyses of existing management system of TVET and HE. Provide technical assistance to key institutional leaders.
- Produce reports for internal and external stakeholders and prepare and deliver presentations as assigned by the Program Director.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated excellence in strategic management of complex programs, just as strong leadership skills and demonstrated ability to manage and motivate teams.
- Proven organizational skills necessary to manage multiple responsibilities. Must be a self-starter who takes initiative and is able to work with minimal supervision. Ability to identify and establish priorities, work independently, and exercise sound judgment and discretion.
- Expertise and skills in the delivery of skills training, development of occupational standards, curriculum development, quality assurance, assessment and certification. Expertise in the current regulatory and education and skills policy frameworks of Mexico. Demonstrated knowledge of Mexican education policies and/or programs. Ability to understand the trends on youth needs and youth training for their insertion in the labor market, especially in Jalisco. Experience working in Mexico with competency-based education systems, engaging productive sector in workforce development strategies aimed at youth in upper/post-secondary education on multi-year programs preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to find viable solutions to complicated problems in a flexible, time-sensitive and creative manner and to apply solid “troubleshooting” skills and sound judgment in dealing with partners experiencing implementation challenges. Ability to identify problems and demonstrate creativity and flexibility in addressing problems, works well in group problem solving situations.
- Significant experience developing and supporting multi-stakeholder partnerships for systems change in Mexico, including education to industry partnerships. Ability to exercise sound judgment and diplomacy in a multi-stakeholder environment.
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and analytical skills. Experience in managing activities with teams with diverse backgrounds.
- A bachelor's degree in social sciences, education, public administration, economics, or a closely related field, or relevant years of experience is preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Spanish.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in planning and implementing multi-faceted development programs, preferably employment and/or self-employment projects for young people in the Americas region; and a proven track record of design/operational delivery in the areas of education and skills development, and in managing donor-funded programs, in youth employability issues, upper and/or higher education and training, education or labor policy development.
- Experience working with international donor-funded programs preferred.
Oaxaca, Chihuahua, or Jalisco, Mexico
Please submit the following documents in English via email:
- Completed IYF Field Office Application for Employment
- Cover Letter
To be eligible for this position, applicants must have the legal authority to work and reside in Mexico. This position is a local hire position in Mexico.
The International Youth Foundation is an Equal Opportunity employer.