Youth Engagement Intern
Youth Engagement Intern
Technical Advisor, Youth Agency & Engagement
PURPOSE OF INTERNSHIP
The intern will work with IYF’s Technical Advisor for Youth Agency & Engagement to finalize IYF’s Youth Engagement Policy, which will outline how IYF ensures young people are ethically and meaningfully engaged as participants, partners, and leaders in its projects. The intern will also support the design and implementation of a Youth Engagement Learning Community channel on Microsoft Teams where staff can go to access resources and learn about youth engagement approaches, tools and resources. This learning community will be used to conduct a baseline assessment of youth engagement in IYF’s organizational practices and project portfolio to inform the indicators and targets set in the Policy to measure progress in achieving goals.
EXPECTED TASKS INCLUDE:
- Find, download, and organize youth engagement resources in central location.
- Review and revise draft youth engagement policy.
- Research standards and indicators that can be reflected in IYF’s youth engagement policy to help benchmark practices and set goals and targets for improved youth engagement conditions and practices.
- Contribute to the design of a youth engagement learning community, including priority topics, learning objectives, and approach to collecting, consolidating, and sharing information and resources with IYF staff.
- Contribute to design of simple surveys, or other creative data collection means, that can be used to assess current youth engagement practices or gaps at IYF.
- Create targeted and engaging multi-media awareness raising materials about youth engagement.
REQUESTED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program (Education, Public Policy, Statistics, International Relations, or related field preferred)
- Comfortable with Microsoft Office Suite, especially PowerPoint, Word, and cloud file storage solutions like OneDrive and SharePoint.
- Passionate about youth development and interested in designing, implementing, and evaluating holistic youth development programs.
- Ability to collect and analyze data (simple survey design, data visualization, and qualitative coding)
- Use technology platforms to creatively engage people and build community in a remote learning environment (e.g. fun, educational ways to share information and generate discussion synchronously & asynchronously).
- Ability to work in a diverse, multi-cultural, collaborative environment.
- Skills with video and audio editing software a plus.
- Knowledge of literature on, or previous experience participating in or implementing programming for, positive youth development and youth engagement a plus.
DURATION AND HOURS
Start date: October 2021
Duration: 6 to 10 weeks
Hours: 12-20 hours a week
Pay: $16/undergraduate students, $20/graduate students
HOW TO APPLY
Submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please address the following questions in your cover letter:
- Why are you interested in this internship at IYF?
- How are you a good fit?
- What do you hope to gain from the internship?
- In what way do you identify as BIPOC and/or with another underrepresented or historically marginalized group?
For 30 years, our sole focus has been to help young people succeed. Our work is fueled by the belief that young women and men everywhere possess dreams, ambition, and the same spark of potential. However, we also know that opportunities are not equitably distributed. Rooted in the belief of youth as problem-solvers, change-makers, and leaders, our initiatives are catalysts for change. We forge global and local partnerships that transform lives, together.
Together with our partners, IYF builds effective, sustainable, and scalable initiatives that drive change around three interconnected strategic objectives: youth agency, economic opportunity, and systems change. These strategic objectives power IYF’s mission. Our initiatives help young people gain market-relevant technical and life skills, and they foster enabling environments and enhance the systems within which we all live and work.
IYF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues, and we welcome applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences.