YouthActionNet® is International Youth Foundation’s flagship citizenship program. The 18-year initiative was launched in 2001 and sought to strengthen and expand the impact of youth-led social ventures around the globe. Over 18 years, it created one of the world’s largest networks of young social entrepreneurs comprising more than 2,100 young leaders in 920 countries.
To identify and support the efforts of accomplished young change-makers (18-29 years old), YouthActionNet® operated global and local 10-12-month Fellowship programs. At the global level, 20 young founders/CEOs were selected annually as Laureate Global Fellows. Each benefited from advanced leadership training, coaching/mentoring, advocacy, and networking opportunities. At the local level, YouthActionNet® supported a network of 24 national/regional youth leadership institutes that provided similar support and services to emerging leaders, while developing the youth leadership sector in their respective countries. While a majority of local institutes were housed in university settings, others were managed by foundations and/or or nongovernmental organizations (NGOs). Firmly rooted in the environment where they operated, YouthActionNet institutes offered a comprehensive Fellowship experience based on a common leadership development framework.
This flagship program achieved substantial results including:
- 94% of fellows increased their credibility as social actors in 1 year.
- 96% of Fellows developed critical leadership & management skills in 1 year.
- 89% of ventures increased the quality of their services in 1 year.
- 11,335 university students participated in social change activities.
- 73 youth-focused thought leadership events were hosted each year.
- 588 publications, articles, & videos featuring young leaders were posted.
Over the years, YouthActionNet® received generous support from Nokia, Laureate, the Sylvan/Laureate Foundation and Starbucks to support the program.
For more information, please visit the YouthActionNet® website or contact us at [email protected].